We've had a very windy cold front come in. When I got here 2 weeks ago I wondered why there were large blocks on the roof. Last night I found out why. It stops the roof from blowing away!! The house has a tin roof so you can imagine the noise.
Today has been very overcast. We took a drive up the coast along the ocean to take in the sites. It was interesting to see the huge houses, oh how the other half lived. Most are embasy staff and large corporates. It's one of those difficult anomalies rich living so close to poor almost as though the other didn't exist.
I'm beginning to recognise streets and landmarks, the odd tree or coloured wall. There's no such thing as street signs and names, so that's quite impressive, so long as they don't chop the tree down! Tonight we're watching "The Interpretter" and the opening scene is just down the road from here. It looks just the same except no broken vehicles and trucks outside.
The pictures are from our drive out and Cooper, the soppy lab, he was rolling all over my feet - must smell nice!. Tomorrow I'm going to a village church which I've been told is "traditional". I'll post you. I'm not sure if it'll be in Portuguese or a local language. My Portuguese vocab is improving but it's very like an infant's. I know words but putting sentences together is tricky. I told Alzira that I liked sandles - gosto de sandles, I actually meant I like your sandles, but people here are so tolerant and always try and help you out.
Although, it's been cold today (21C) yesterday was quite warm (29C) and saw an increase in the mosquito department. Gary is modelling the latest anti-mozzie tool. Looks like a tennis racquet but it has a zapper in the middle, Some of the up-market versions have lights on them so that you can use them in the dark.
Postings have been tricky for me too. I'm not sure why, but I do appreciate your comments and it's good to know that I'm in your thoughts and prayers.
Praying for Soul Survivor, all my love to Katherine and Stephen. I hope you have a great time next week & drive safe. Love to George too, hope you enjoy your time at Soul Survivor too.
I'm on Mozambican time now and somebody needs to tell my dear husband that he needs to slow down.



No comments:
Post a Comment