All done – I think?!
Internet’s working, files are all there, cabling finished.
I’ve been teaching lessons in the suite all week, everything from 3rd grade to 12th grade - science, computing, maths etc. Nothing pre-planned, just
“Can you teach my lesson on………?”
“Yes, when is it?”
“next period - half an hour’s time”
So lots of “off the hoof” lessons, but the students seem to be enjoying it. I’ve also had some good conversations with the students. It’s interesting how they have the same worries and concerns that children in the UK have. They have the same basic needs.
It’s been good to work with some of the teachers here too. I also appreciate how much we have in the UK, good resources and tools to do the job. I’ve really had to think about teaching the same things but with less, especially when it comes to supporting those students who need the extra help. It really makes you think about your job and what it is you’re trying to do. The teachers have been good to work with - they really appreciate the input the chance to talk about the students' education.
I’m conscious that tomorrow is results day in the UK. I do really pray for our youngsters and hope that the decisions that they have to make are made thoughtfully and not as a kneejerk.
Trust – that was a word that was a turning point for me as a Christian and has been over the years. Whilst I’ve been here I’ve had to do a lot of things that I never thought I was capable of, technically, but people have trusted me to do things that really have scared me half to death – eg networking 3 operating systems. We can only be effective as a family if we trust each other and believe in each other.
I’ve also had to surrender my independence to a certain degree in that I’ve not had the freedom to come and go as I please. Although, Kyla and I have tried to escape from time to time!! I’ve had to rely on others for things I would normally do myself. Surrender doesn’t have to be a bad thing if the person you surrender to is trustworthy and loves you unconditionally.
As I come to the end of my time here, I hope that I have left something which people can use and build on. Seeds sewn in love, and I pray that they produce a bountiful harvest. There’s a good work happening here and I see people who are surrendered to doing their very best and fulfilling their calling.
As always the last few days will probably be a bit of a rush (and a bit sad) but I really can’t wait to hear an English voice. Even some of the Mozambican kids here speak with an American accent – Americans, they’re everywhere!! Hopefully not in South Africa (joke!!)
The above - grade 12's using MS Access to solve a murder mystery on the ski slopes - my idea of cross culture. The victim was an American - lol. The president won't be asking me to tea!!





Enjoy your last few days and have a great holiday too! God Bless. Sue & Chris xx
ReplyDeleteSo looking forward to seeing Alan - I'm beginning to think in an American accent. I've got a good handle on "basil" which sounds like bay-zel and "oregano" which is o-rig-no. Hope they're not reading this else I'll be like to-may-to sauce!!
ReplyDeleteHe'll be so tired from the flight but I'll be "speak to me, speak to me"