Sunday, 24 July 2011

Sunday in Maputo

Hi
Just to touch base. My flights were great, all on time, no problems at the borders, luggage all arrived - great answers to prayer.

I'm settling in well, there are a great bunch of people here, all different ages, from all over the globe. The "compond" is a huge piece of land with 6 or 7 small bungalows (I have one to my self). The wired fencing and armed guards takes you by surprise at first.

Church was interesting this morning, the preacher (Dave/Ian take note) sang before he delivered his message!! The language is a bit tricky, it was interesting in church hearing the familiar tunes but the words didn't match what I could see on the screen or what my brain was telling me. I had to do liitle introduction, rxplain where I was from etc.
I've had a tour around the new school and it's going to be amazing when it's finished. The pictures below tell a different story - but I've been assured.

It's sunny and warm by UK standards (28 degrees), yet it's quite funny to see people sittng in blankets, coats etc. Tomorrow I might be helping to box up computers and help with preparing teaching materials for inset next week.

Keep blogging - it;s really encouraging

8 comments:

  1. Evening mother!

    Good to see your experience flying solo to S.A was better than mine! And they obviously didn't discover all those drugs you brought over! I'm going to make sure I do ALL the cooking as some members of the family cannot grasp portion sizes..
    Take pictures please. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to upload the piccies takes forever. I had to leave the drugs behind. oes portion sizes mean too much or too little?
    Love you too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you’re arrived OK. The environment seems a little interesting. No sure I quite had in mind the need for arm guards when you said you were going off on mission. It’s not 28 degrees here but it’s been a lovely day. Katherine and I are painting the inside of the conservatory. Is going to look rather tasteful when it’s finished..
    Enjoy you’re un-packing...
    Love you.Alan XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi it's George, Katherine showed me your blog, glad you got there safely. Hope you have a really good time out there. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ro,
    Glad to hear you have arrived safely.
    Take care of yourself
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ro, it is simply wonderful what you are going for these children. I am very glad to hear you made it safe and you will be in our thoughts and prayers while you are abroad. Don't worry, your Hubby and I have plenty to do before he comes out to meet you in a few weeks. I will keep him company while you are away. God bless and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bill,

    Just make sure that he gets the hall painted, including the 10 doors.

    I'm with a happy mix of Americans from Texas to Seattle area. Oh and some from across the border - Canada!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for you Ro...you're accommodation looks a lot better that ours this week as we're on camp in the wilds of North Yorks with 60 YP. It's great to see what you're up to, the pics are really helpful. Praying that the computer room get's transformed soon and that all those DOS memories come back!!! It really is another world!

    ReplyDelete